PLZ Get Me Ready For College – Sign up below!
- The workshop starts this Monday 7/18 through Friday 7/22.
- There are five total classes that all take place from 11:30am to 1:30pm
- See below for details:
We provide college and career counseling to prepare our students for the college application process and their future careers. We provide affordable individual and small group workshops that help high school students to have a better understanding of the application process and give them opportunities to get into the college of their choice. Our licensed college counselor will be with the students every step of the way providing them valuable information and feedback. We have a PLZ Get Me Ready for College Workshop coming up this week. See the details of this workshop below. We will continue to have College Workshops and individual College Counseling throughout the year.
Please scroll down to the blue registration form below to reserve your student’s seat today.
Day 1- Explore Possible Majors and Career Path
- Students will complete three different interest, skills, and values inventories in order to determine a career path or majors that may interest them.
Day 2- College Comparison
- Students will determine what qualities they are looking for in a college or university and use this information to choose three schools to research.
Day 3- Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Students will learn about the different types of scholarships available and where to search and apply for scholarships. Students and parents (this part will start at 12:30 and parents are welcome to attend) will learn about how to finance a college education and receive information on financial aid.
Day 4- The College Application Process and Filling Out the Common Application
- Students will learn about the college application process and what applications they need to fill out for the colleges they are interested in. They will have an opportunity to fill out the Common Application.
Day 5- Answers to Frequently Asked Questions and What to Do When
- Students will learn what they should be doing to prepare for college during each year of high school including information about their academic record, extra curricular activities, and testing. Students will have an opportunity to ask questions.
Please use the form below to register your child for the workshop. Your seat will be reserved for the class once you complete the form and make your payment (located below this form) :
Registration isn’t complete until you choose your workshop from the drop-down menu and then click “Pay Now” below to make your payment:
Please email [email protected] if you have questions or would like to pay using a different method such as cash or check.
Meet Our College and Career Coach!
We are excited to announce that we now offer help to high school students who are making or planning for the transition to college and/or the workforce. Meet Lorrie Hummer, our College and Career Coach! She has an M.Ed. in Counselor Education from Virginia Commonwealth University, and currently works as a Virginia Community College High School Career Coach helping students to define their career goals and find post-secondary programs that suit their academic and financial needs. At PLZ Lorrie can help students:
- Determine career interests and develop an individual career plan or portfolio
- Find out more about classes and programs that are offered that may be a good fit for their goals such as: dual-enrollment, AP, technical programs, apprenticeships, and workforce training.
- Make an academic plan based on career and postsecondary goals.
- Ease the transition from high school to the workforce or post-secondary education.
- Search for and apply to college.
- Find and apply for scholarships and financial aid.
Call us today to set up an appointment with Lorrie, so that she can work with your high school student to prepare for college! Lorrie will have individual sessions and will also be teaching a one week Applying to College crash course in September. See above for more details.